Senior Compiler Frontend Engineer (C++, Solidity)
develop extension of the Solidity language for zkSync, where all the zkSync-specific features can be added with ease
3 months ago
Oops. In progress...
At the current stage of development, zkSync uses the default Solidity compiler, which is coupled with the EVM architecture too tightly. It imposes a lot of overhead along the compilation pipeline on the way to the zkSync virtual machine bytecode. We have to develop our own extension of the Solidity language, where all the zkSync-specific features can be added with ease. Apart from that, there is a lot of optimization space within the Yul generator and other parts of the compilation pipeline. We expect you to independently conduct research in your area of ownership, design, implement and document solutions.
- The development of Solidity language extensions for zkSync
- Maintaining and handling the Solidity updates
- Optimizing and tweaking the solc's Yul generator - researching the possibilities of improving the compilation pipeline
- You are driven by passion, curiosity, and desire to make a meaningful contribution to the world
- Fluency in C++, at least 3+ years of experience with C++ in your background
- Experience with the Solidity/Yul compiler and general сompiler front-end development
- Deep understanding of software engineering best-practices
- Ownership mindset and a track record of successfully accomplished projects
- Good oral and written English
- Lastly, it is critical that you have knowledge of common algorithms, data structures, and their computational and memory complexities, as well as experience in implementing them from scratch
culture & perks
You will receive highly competitive compensation and equity options. The roles are fully remote, but you are welcome to sit in one of our offices, or a co-working space of your choice. We operate in small, focused teams, with no time tracking and minimum bureaucracy. Only results matter. We will provide you with anything you need to learn, grow, and be more productive.
Working at Matter Labs it’s critically important that our goals and values (freedom, ownership mindset, and meritocracy) align. Building a potentially globally transformative product, we value diversity of thought, and believe that diversity of thought comes from diversity of backgrounds. We welcome applicants from across the spectrum of all: race, gender, ethnicity, culture, sexual orientation, age, religion, spirituality, identity and experience.
At Matter Labs, we are building zkSync: a blockchain scaling solution secured purely by cutting-edge cryptography. Our mission is to scale Ethereum to billions of users, fully preserving its most valuable properties — permissionlessness, trustlessness, and resilience, — in order to protect and enhance global economic freedom.
We hold a strong opinion that zero-knowledge proofs (ZKP) are the only technology today that can achieve this goal.
We are also proud to be the pioneer of the ZKP tech on Ethereum, and one of the few companies in the world with strong expertise in this field. Our contributions over the last 3 years include the first ZK rollup ever built, the first implementation of recursive ZK proofs on Ethereum, and the world’s first practical FPGA-based ZKP accelerator. Most recently, we launched a zkEVM testnet, making zkSync the first ZK rollup capable of executing native Ethereum smart contracts.