Quantitative Protocol Engineer – Research
work to design, model and implement secure systems and protocols extending and building on top of PoS / BFT blockchains
2 months ago
We're looking to hire a Quantitative Protocol Engineer to expand our Research team.
Our stack is Ethereum-like, so familiarity with -- and passion for -- the space is key.
Some of the areas we tackle include blockchain infrastructure optimized for financial use-cases, protocols for specific applications (such as smart contract-based derivatives, synthetic assets, cryptocurrency stabilization, ...), scalability and privacy through cryptography (zkSNARKs, multiparty computation, private transactions/assets).
You will work to design, model and implement secure systems and protocols extending and building on top of PoS / BFT blockchains. Part of your work will be about designing and modelling protocols with sound incentives structures, creating proof-of-concept implementations, and collaborating with like-minded people and academics to find robust solutions to challenges faced by Clearmatics in the development of its product range.
As well as excellent engineering skills and problem-solving abilities, the ideal candidate will have a strong interest in finance, DeFi and financial engineering and be passionate about the disruptive power of decentralisation and cryptography.
- Perform modelling and simulation to influence the design of new L1 and L2 protocols
- Collaborate closely with colleagues in the Research team to deliver new protocol specifications
- Produce PoC implementations and iterate protocol designs to operate efficiently on-chain
- Contribute to the development of shared infrastructure for simulation, modelling and prototyping
- Make fact-based design decisions
- Produce technical design specifications
- Stay up-to-date with the latest discoveries in the decentralised finance (DeFi) space
- Contribute to breakthrough discoveries, keeping the R&D effort competitive
- Provide ongoing peer-reviews and write publications (blog posts, papers, ...)
- Fluency in English (written and spoken)
- Team player with outstanding communication skills
- Excellent engineering ability with a good grasp of best practices
- Python development experience, including knowledge of SciPy libraries (numpy, pandas, ...)
- Love of Mathematics, with the ability to translate domain concepts into Mathematics, and Mathematics into code
- Strong data-driven mindset with attention to detail
- Deep understanding of blockchain systems and the associated threat models
- Experience writing smart contracts in Solidity
- Skills in systems security/applied cryptography/protocol design/distributed systems
- A hacker mindset and the ability to assess risks
- Track record solving complex problems in creative ways
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of stablecoin projects and cryptocurrency stabilisation protocol research
- An understanding of key concepts in quantitative finance, namely pricing and hedging models for derivatives and fixed income products
- An understanding of key defi primitives (collateralised lending, automated market makers, perpetual swaps)
- Knowledge of PoS systems (especially BFT/Tendermint based dPoS systems)
- Development experience in a trading-related project
- Experience working with financial timeseries, market data and back-testing
Culture & Perks
- Competitive salary
- High-spec, new machine (and hardware budget for engineers so that they have the best equipment)
- "Show and Tell" sessions - knowledge sharing across teams
- Remote and flexible working
- Professional development - annual individual Learning & development budget
- Access to Perkbox benefits (discounts on gym membership/travel/retail/res
What we value at Clearmatics:
- Collaboration and respect
- Honesty & Humility
- Ability to challenge others' ideas and ability to be challenged
- Truth seeking
- "Can do" and "doer" mindset
- Willingness to deliver robust solutions
- Passion for the technology and its challenges
- Continuous improvement and learning
London, United Kingdom or Remote
Clearmatics is a blockchain protocol engineering company that builds decentralised financial market infrastructures that are more open, efficient, and resilient than those serving legacy market structures of today.
We have a bold vision for this new market infrastructure - enabling market participants to solve currently unaddressed problems of the real economy, including "missing markets" problems. We aim to achieve our vision through technologies that allow peer-to-peer trading and settlement within new markets, and with digital assets whose values track real-world risk factors that currently have no suitable expression in legacy markets.
No matter the nature of a risk factor, whether macro-economic or climactic, our mission is to make important risk factors tradable; by anyone, anywhere, without reliance on financial intermediaries. We are building this new infrastructure in collaboration with incredible trading and blockchain communities.
Clearmatics was founded in 2015, and we have ever since been committed advocates of Open Source development, and active participants in the blockchain and cryptography research communities. We've been an active participant and supporter of decentralized infrastructure initiatives including Enterprise Ethereum Alliance.
Oops. In progress...