Distributed Systems Engineer
Help build an efficient Byzantine Fault Tolerant (BFT) algorithm for maintaining consistent state across a distributed network
2 weeks ago
We are looking for strong Distributed Systems Engineers and Researchers to help build an efficient Byzantine Fault Tolerant (BFT) algorithm for maintaining consistent state across a distributed network. Experience with crypto is not expected.
- Designing and building a distributed system kept in sync by a Byzantine Fault Tolerant (BFT) consensus mechanism
- Improving and optimizing performance of the consensus mechanism
- Developing tests to prove the reliability and correctness of the consensus mechanism
- Researching state-of-the-art BFT algorithms
- Experience with Distributed database/state machines
- Understand Consensus protocols like paxos and raft
- Familiar with the Byzantine Generals problems - Ideally familiar with BFT consensus algorithms
- Experience with Gossip protocols
- Understand concepts like vector clocks, synchronous vs asynchronous networks
- Understand network protocols (TCP/UDP)
- Distributed tracing and debugging in distributed environments
- Experience in programming with a statically-typed language (eg. C++/Rust/Go
Who you are:
- Resourceful and self-motivated
- Team oriented, collaborative, and a good communicator
- Adaptive; able to make meaningful contributions in a fast-paced environment
- Opinionated about software architecture
- Motivated to push the limits of system performance through repeated optimization
- Interested in building high-value fault-tolerant distributed systems
- Contributions to open source projects
- Startup experience
- Interest in crypto
Culture & Perks:
Why work with us:
- You’ll work on extremely challenging problems with massive impact
- You’ll work with and learn from a small, exceptional team
- You’ll receive a competitive salary, along with equity
- You’ll shape the culture as an early employee and make impactful contributions from day one
- You’ll be part of a flat, results-driven organization
- Your work will be deeply impactful, enabling much cheaper and more efficient decentralized computation and ultimately paving the way for new dapps that improve many people’s lives
Salary and benefits:
Minimum full-time salary of $200,000+. (**This is not a guarantee of compensation or salary; a final offer amount may vary based on factors including but not limited to experience and geographic location.)
Monad Labs’ benefits include unlimited and encouraged paid time off; 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage; home office equipment stipend; monthly wellness/fitness stipend; and 11 company-observed holidays.
The majority of our team is in NYC and works together a few days a week. We are open to remote candidates in the US and Canada, with a strong preference for candidates based in (or able to relocate to) NYC.
NYC (preferred) / US, Canada - Remote
Monad Labs is a venture-backed tech startup building the Monad blockchain, a high-performance smart contract platform built to bring world adoption to decentralized apps. Monad combines unparalleled performance (10,000 transactions per second) with portability (full compatibility for Ethereum smart contracts), leveraging innovations in parallel execution and distributed consensus.
Founded by Jump Trading alums, our team solves challenging problems in distributed systems engineering and low-latency optimization, authoring novel open source code to implement a new, high-performance, high-reliability, high-value system.
After recently raising a $19 million seed round backed by Dragonfly Capital, Placeholder Capital, Naval Ravikant, and other leaders in the crypto space, we are hiring a few more exceptional engineers who want to work on challenging problems with massive impact in a fast-paced environment.
Oops. In progress...