Head of Engineering
drive the delivery and growth of our Engineering organization
2 months ago
As Head of Engineering for 3Box Labs you will drive the delivery and growth of our Engineering organization. You will ensure the technical excellence and wellbeing of our team while helping guide the strategy and technical direction of the Ceramic ecosystem. You will be the first non-founder on the executive team, reporting to our co-founder and Head of Project, Danny Zuckerman.
Come help us tackle novel challenges and reinvent how data is managed online. Every one of our roles is remote first (retreat often!). We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team because we cannot succeed in our mission without it. People that identify with groups traditionally underrepresented in tech are particularly encouraged to apply.
- 6+ years of engineering management experience and 10+ years in technical organizations making massive contributions to highly impactful projects
- Hired and grown great teams. You can identify and evaluate exceptional engineers and engineering managers, and know how to attract world-class talent. You have proven you can retain great people and help them grow rapidly
- Experience in one of Web3, crypto, databases/data lakes/data streaming, or a development platform known for a great DX or ecosystem
- Desire to be close to the tech and architecture, even if you're not coding
- Exceptional communication and mentorship skills, able to crisply outline technical problems and solutions and rally the team around a shared vision and set of goals. You are comfortable with a remote-first workflow and can build a strong team culture on a diverse and distributed team
- Ability to lead teams in a fast-changing, high-growth environment. You are comfortable with uncertainty, bring order to chaos, and design teams and systems for complexity and empowerment not control
- Deep interest in Web3, large-scale data systems, data sovereignty, and improving the way the web works
Success looks like...
- The engineering organization has doubled in the first year, adding exemplary technical talent and leadership that reinforce our culture and values. The engineering team is one of the most diverse, inclusive, happy, productive, and attractive to work for in all of Web3. This is evident to engineers on the team and to incoming candidates.
- Ceramic is processing 10x more transactions every 6 months, meeting performance and reliability goals for scaled Web3 use cases, and constantly adding new capabilities. Our community gives positive feedback weekly on our product quality, network reliability and performance, and clear and dependable communications
- Our engineering team is delivering more effectively than ever, gaining velocity faster than capacity as you coach the team, mature our operations, and remove bottlenecks. We are increasingly using data to make decisions, proactively mitigating our biggest risks, and building complete feedback loops into everything we do.
- Goals are clear across the organization and the team is motivated and effective in meeting them. You work closely with the executive team to drive the strategy and roadmap, make sure the full engineering team is aligned, and are always a step ahead on resource planning, hiring, and prioritization.
- There is a deep sense of ownership, trust, and collaboration within the Engineering team. Individuals are empowered, getting frequent and effective feedback and mentoring, and feel themselves growing rapidly. We have no unwanted churn.
Culture & Perks:
- Care: We work with passionate teammates committed to a shared purpose and support each other to work better and live well
- Act with intention: We are thoughtful doers who put as much into why and how we do something as what we do
- Go further, together: Our mission is too big for us alone. We cultivate trust, ask for help, and build momentum together
- Drive incredible impact: We aim for massive impact and we deliver
Benefits and Perks:
- Our benefits align with our values and operating model - we want everyone to help own and drive our purpose in their own way, with compensation and benefits to match
- Generous equity for everyone
- Competitive salary that is fair across the globe
- Unlimited vacation and flexible working hours
- Budgets for learning, thought leadership, and community events
- In person team retreats twice a year
- Healthcare benefits
- Salary range: $200 - $350K depending on seniority and location. We understand everyone's risk preferences and life situation is different so we can offer flexibility here. Our goal is to extend a fair and exciting offer, while preserving fairness across the team
New York, NY, US - Remote
At 3Box Labs we are on a mission to usher in a new era for the web, where data is secure, interactions are trustworthy, and relationships are the basis of connection. We're enabling online experiences that are delightful and integrated while also bolstering privacy and freeing innovation. Our first product, Ceramic, is the building block for composable data on the web and is powering thousands of the world's most ambitious applications.
We're backed by an incredible community and the best investors in the space (USV, Placeholder, Variant, Multicoin) who have deep conviction in our mission. We are a lean, voraciously curious team from across the globe, with 5 years of expert remote work experience and frequent (and awesome) team retreats to spend time together. We have founded tech startups, written books, won product awards, authored patents, created Ethereum standards, and advised F100 CEOs.
Oops. In progress...