Lead Backend Engineer
build out our financial infrastructure and backend systems
type of job
2 days ago
About the role
- Underpay is looking for a talented backend engineer with experience in payments to join our team and build out our financial infrastructure and backend systems.
- You will join the startup on day 1 and work directly with the founders, starting from a blank slate to design and implement a scalable architecture to power our MVP.
- Hybrid working ≤2 days in person in London a week, or fully remote
What you’ll do:
Immediate (up to launch of our MVP):
- Make all technical decisions alongside the founders, including architecture design, tech stack, tooling choices etc.
- Establish a clear and effective development workflow including issue tracking, coding standards, reviews, staging environments, deployment.
- Go hands-on with coding the backend systems required for our MVP.
- Report directly to the co-CEO responsible for technology.
- Build out the technology function at Underpay.
- Take full ownership over the technology roadmap, and take up a C-suite role in the overall management of the company.
Who you are:
- Senior backend engineer with bags of pure coding experience in Fintech. “Move fast… while complying with the FCA handbook” is your motto.
- Future CTO looking for their big break. Feel like your growth is being stifled in a 40-person engineering team?
- Startup-oriented. You perform best in a small team with the full business context and a clear North Star goal.
- Quick off the mark. You get to the crux of the matter quickly and optimise for done over perfect.
- Self-sufficient. You want responsibility and thrive on being trusted to get on with it.
- Must haves:
- 3+ years of commercial backend engineering experience in fintech, preferably payments.
- Experience in leading software projects - responsibility for the full lifecycle of development.
- Computer Science degree.
Nice to haves:
- Engineering experience in UK fintech is a big advantage
- Experience building an alternative payment method (APM) like BNPL or Open Banking.
- Experience building integrations with Open Banking third-party providers (like Plaid).
- Experience building payment integrations with e-commerce platforms such as Shopify and WooCommerce.
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Potential for options upon next funding round.
- Bring your own tech stack - we have no legacy dependencies, and will use what you know if it is the best tool for the job.
- True startup experience, you’ll be joining the team on day 1 - shaping the product, technology and working practices.
- Clear pathway to becoming a CTO of a fast-growing fintech company.
- Our mission is to transition UK consumer payments from legacy, inefficient card networks to modern Open Banking-based rails.
- We do this by democratising access to spending rewards, bringing them to the people left out the traditional credit card system.
- We use Open Banking to process e-commerce transactions, passing the fee savings to users in the form of credit card-like points.
- That is, for the first time ever, you can earn rewards on purchases made with your own money, whoever you bank with. Just checkout with Underpay and get a minimum of 1% back on purchases made directly from your existing current account.
Wow, it’s unique
Oops. In progress...