Volunteer Coordinator | Devconnect
Coordinating everything around the Devconnect Volunteer effort
7 months ago
While most events Devconnect during Devconnect are independent, there are a few events and spaces that we (the Devconnect team) will be organizing and managing: Devconnect co-work space, a large central space open to the community to co-work and collaborate. EF-hosted events, such as Solidity Summit, ETHConomics, etc.
These events wouldn’t be possible without a group of dedicated, passionate volunteers helping run the show! In this role, you will be tasked with managing and leading the team of ~100 fun, dedicated, passionate Ethereum community members to help put on the best Devconnect yet!
As Volunteer Lead, you’ll be responsible for coordinating everything around the Devconnect Volunteer effort. We expect you to be passionate about Ethereum values, enthusiastic about leading people and energized to ensure everything runs like a well-oiled machine.
More specifically, you will be responsible for working with our team to identify volunteer roles, soliciting and reviewing volunteer applications, creating and managing the volunteer schedule, training the volunteers, and ensuring volunteers are motivated/incentivized to fulfill their duties while still enjoying the experience. On top of that you will be responsible for selecting volunteer leads, and training them for their respective roles.
You are expected to organize volunteer training sessions both virtually before Devconnect and in person one day before Devconnect starts. Overall your primary responsibility is to oversee all volunteer-related matters before, during, and after Devconnect. This entails working closely with our Devconnect team, as you will be the point person in charge.
The successful applicant will be:
- You feel passionate about leading large groups towards a common goal — you love to be a leader & you love to delegate
- You love events and all that they entail: high pressure, short timeline, long days & nights, unexpected issues, and the ability to positively impact thousands of attendees’ experiences through your hard work
- Willing to assist in events where there is a shortage of staff — you jump into action when there is a gap that needs filling, even if the task is not volunteer-related
- Inspired by the expectation that events hosted by EF should be of the highest quality
- You are experienced in managing large groups of people and are prepared to lead 70-100 individuals toward a common goal
- Experience working with spreadsheets & able to coordinate shifts based on Volunteer availability
- Good at managing expectations: being able to motivate unpaid volunteers to work hard towards a common goal
- Have great people and communication skills — this position will require frequent checking in & confirming availability with Volunteers
- Flexible, patient, and effective while working under pressure with hard deadlines & unknown issues that may arise
- Have an ownership mentality. When you take on a task, you get it done well & on time
- Fluent in English (writing & speaking). Turkish could be a plus
- Able to work with a multicultural team
- The exact time commitment plan can be discussed, but we estimate this role will require part-time (avg 10hrs/week) starting mid-June 2023, increasing to full-time in October 2023 as we near Devconnect
- Have a valid passport and be able to travel to Turkey from November 10-22
- Able to meet and respond to messages at varying hours of the day to accommodate a globally-located, remote team across time zones (largely based in the Americas and European time zones)
- Able to respond to messages around-the-clock during the Devconnect week in cases where issues arise or events are understaffed
- Being prepared to work long nights/weekends if necessary, especially leading up to and during the event
- This will be a contractor-style role where you will bill based on the number of hours you work, which may vary month-to-month
- Our team and this position are fully remote (except being in-person during Devconnect)
- We use project management and communication tools such as Notion, Telegram, Discord, Google Docs, etc. You will be expected to gain familiarity with them (though prior experience is not necessary)
The Ethereum Foundation (EF) is a global non-profit organization dedicated to supporting Ethereum and related technologies. Our mission is to do what is best for Ethereum’s long-term success. Our role is to allocate resources to critical projects, to be a valued voice within the Ethereum ecosystem, and to advocate for Ethereum to the outside world.
Devconnect is a collaborative Ethereum week built by (and for) everyone. The idea behind Devconnect is essentially to be a week of independent, topic-specific Ethereum events hosted by independent orgs/teams/individuals that are very familiar with the topic at hand and the events attended by those very interested in the particular topic at hand. Everything from small 25-50 person workshop-type events to make progress on something, to larger 100+ person presentation/communication-style events to spread/share education/info.
The event attracts developers, designers, researchers, creators, and others — many of whom are intrigued by cutting-edge technology, decentralization, privacy/security, free and open-source software, and the potential for Ethereum to change the world for the better.