the first decentralized metaverse that is built, governed, and owned by its users
Oops. In progress...
mission, key concepts and challenges
At Decentraland, we are making sure the virtual world of the future is decentralized, open like the Web, and free of control by any single company or organization. To accomplish this, we're building a suite of supporting tools and applications designed to help people create 3D immersive content, games, and applications.
All of this is hosted and accessed on a fully decentralized platform. Our work touches web decentralized apps development, game design, cryptocurrencies, 3D art, decentralized server applications, new governances and networks and, eventually, new experiences that bring the Metaverse concept outside of the screen.
To make sure we achieve those results, the Decentraland Foundation was created as a non-profit organization that leads the community by example, pushing the limits of our SDK creating tentpole events that engage our whole creator ecosystem.
The first fully decentralized world, Decentraland is controlled via the DAO, which owns the most important smart contracts and assets of Decentraland. Via the DAO, you decide and vote on how the world works.
Culture & Perks
Our team is dedicated to pushing the limits of what can be done in each of these areas using decentralized computing and WebVR, and we are looking to grow. Work happens quickly at Decentraland: we iterate frequently and are always chasing new problems to solve.
- Fully remote team with flexible working hours.
- 29 annual PTOs.
- Long term incentive of tokens, vested in a 4 years period.
- Additional tokens linked to performance reviews every semester.
- Brand new equipment for remote work, including laptop, screen and chair.
History & Achievments
Decentraland was created by Ari Meilich and Esteban Ordano, and has been in development since 2015.
In April 2021, during a surge in popularity for NFTs, parcels sold for between $6,000 and $100,000.
In November 2021 a virtual real-estate company purchased a plot of land in decentraland for $2.43 million.
In late 2021 and early 2022, major brands appeared in Decentraland or bought "properties" in it. These include Samsung, Adidas, Atari, PricewaterhouseCoopers and Miller Lite, and Sotheby's held its first metaverse auction, and in March 2022, Decentraland hosted Metaverse Fashion Week in which major fashion brands appeared, including Dolce & Gabbana, Tommy Hilfiger, Elie Saab, Nicholas Kirkwood, Perry Ellis, Imitation of Christ, and Estée Lauder.
Today, the platform was used by an average of 8,000 people per day.
- Decentraland has raised a total of $25.5M in funding over 3 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Jan 1, 2020.
- It is funded by 9 investors. Digital Currency Group and Animoca Brands are the most recent investors.
- The org has invested in Decentral Games on May 27, 2022. This investment was valued at $1M.
- Ari Meilich - Co-Founder & Adviser (formerly CEO)
- Esteban Ordano - Co-Founder & Advisor
- Yemel Jardi - Board Member
- Sam Hamilton - Creative Director
- Agustin Mendez - Chief Technology Officer at Decentraland Foundation
Oops. In progress...