Building P2P infrastructure for a machine-driven future, resistant to monopoly-making tendencies of network effects in client-server models
Oops. In progress...
Mission & Key Concepts
We design protocols for decentralised markets.
Clearmatics' mission is to build peer-to-peer infrastructure for a machine-driven future that is resistant to the monopolistic tendencies of network effects inherent in today's client-server architectures.
We call our approach "decentralised automation", which combines blockchain technologies, cryptography, consensus protocols, and economic mechanism design.
Based on this, we research, design, build, and deploy peer-to-peer platforms for market participants to transact seemlessly and securely without unnecessary intermediaries, and without reliance on centralised providers, services, or infrastructure.
Working with blockchain and trading communities to help build tomorrow's trading and settlement infrastructure using open standards and permissionless networks.
We build decentralised network platforms for the p2p exchange of tokenised value between network members. We care deeply about protocols, p2p architectures, removing friction and market inefficiencies, strong security guarantees, and interoperable exchange across platforms to build p2p ecosystems.
We research, design, develop, and deploy our technologies in order to create truly decentralised market infrastructures from the ground up, but we are committed to creating something that is bigger than ourselves, by fostering ecosystems, community, collaboration, and innovation.
The Clearmatics team are strong believers in the Free Software and Open Source movements, and the Ethereum community. We work closely with the Ethereum Foundation, and are an active member of the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance (EEA).
At Clearmatics, we are tackling the hard problems in the Blockchain space. Our growing team includes experience from leading universities, start-ups, the Ethereum Foundation, Skype, Online Gaming, and Aerospace & Defence amongst other industry verticals.
P2p networks enable the transfer of economic value and the automation of contractual and fiduciary operations without reliance on trusted third parties. Such decentralised networks can interact with one another, thus creating a wider ecosystem of value, which leads to network effects that ensure their continued growth as part of wider decentralised financial markets.
The concept of Decentralised Markets is still relatively new. It builds on the security and resilience guarantees of distributed ledgers to provide platforms that can tokenise value, transfer ownership of that value between participants, and allow interoperability of value transfer and exchange across platforms.
We believe that such technologies will drive the rapid adoption and growth of next-generation markets, where intermediaries are removed, incentive structures encourage self-regulation, and risks are mitigated and reduced to the minimum. Decentralised markets not only provide cryptographically secure environments for market participants to transact, but also express a p2p model of market participation that removes intermediaries. Moreover, they mitigate concentration and liquidity risk, reduce settlement cycles to real-time, remove friction, and lower the transaction cost of economic exchange. This will result in deep and sustained changes to the wider ecosystem for value transfer as well as and pre- post-trade processes.
Clearmatics employs a growing global team across many disciplines, including distributed systems, cryptography, consensus protocols, economic mechanism design, financial markets, and decentralised finance.
We are blockchain and financial protocol engineers working on some of the hardest problems in our domain. If you are excited by the challenges of productionising foundational research to help make the vision of decentralised markets a reality, get in touch.
- People. Your input will be highly valued and you’ll be involved in creating and building in whatever team you join.
- Opportunities. You will have the opportunity to be part of a scaling business delivering a high-growth strategy and gain invaluable insight into this journey.
- Diversity. We have a lovely, diverse team made up of doers and thinkers from around the world.
- Personal development. We provide a unique environment for your long-term personal development. Self-learning, and L&D are at the core of our business - we wouldn't be here without it and it's part of our DNA. Learning time is accomodated in every working week.
- Knowledge sharing. It is a huge part of our culture and we credit our success to an open culture where people are actively encouraged to share their expertise and experience. We have close links to leading industry bodies such as the Ethereum Foundation and the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance.
History & Achievements
Founded in 2015, Clearmatics is a London-based blockchain company.
Our founder and CEO Robert Sams was a pioneer of decentralised stablecoins with his 2014 paper on Seigniorage Shares, as well the concept of ‘smart derivatives’. We are also incredibly privileged to have Vitalik Buterin on our team as an advisor.
We are active members of the Ethereum ecosystem. The team is working in an area of rapid innovation and has a strong Open Source ethos. We have implemented a thoroughly researched privacy solution involving Stealth Addresses and Ring Signatures and are currently working on how to interoperate Ethereum based chains without an intermediary. Other areas of current research include zkSNARKs, multiparty computation, private transactions/assets, protocol design (e.g. proof relays/pegs), formally verified smart contracts, and type-safe and performant distributed virtual machine architectures.
- Robert Sams, Founder & CEO
- Samir Khosla, Chief Business Officer and Director
- Aiman Baharna, Head of Engineering
- Competitive salary
- High-spec, new machine (and hardware budget for engineers so that they have the best equipment)
- "Show and Tell" sessions - knowledge sharing across teams
- Remote and flexible working
- Professional development - annual individual Learning & development budget
- Access to Perkbox benefits (discounts on gym membership/travel/retail/restaurants)
Oops. In progress...