A new business model for the internet
Mission & Key Concepts
What we do
Massive provides an SDK to app developers that lets users opt in to pay for premium features with their devices’ idle computing resources. We pool together these resources, like a bunch of mini data centers, and compensate the developers by hosting blockchain infrastructure, mining cryptocurrency and, in the future, performing general distributed computing tasks. We don’t collect any personal info and we actively collaborate with compliance partners to ensure our SDK is always safe for developers to include in their apps.
Hundreds of thousands of users have paid with Massive while we’ve been quietly building. Conversion rates for our developer partners, when they give users the option to pay with Massive, are consistently 30% or higher and their average revenue per user (ARPU) is over 3x higher than their ARPU with ads.
How does Massive work for users?
Massive is like Airbnb or Turo for your computer. Rather than letting you share your home or vehicle when you’re not using them, Massive lets you share any unused computing resources you have. In exchange, app developers give you access to their premium features.
To guarantee that you get a fair deal, Massive is opt-in only and apps you opt in with must include tooling so you can monitor and control resource consumption. When active, Massive consumes resources unnoticeably in the background by analyzing anonymous telemetry data and compensates developers without ever collecting your personally identifiable info.
Where can Massive be tried?
Massive doesn’t develop consumer apps but has partnered with many developers who offer to let you upgrade with Massive in their apps. Depending on your geolocation, you’ll get such offers in apps like Boom 3D for Windows and Digg Desktop.
Why was Massive created?
We started Massive to give app and web users a payment alternative to the attention-grabbing, emotion-manipulating, privacy-violating experience of online advertising (and to give developers a monetization alternative to advertising’s minimal revenue per user).
We are a team of 33. We’re a fully remote startup that’s working to change how software is adopted worldwide.
History & Achievements
HQ: Claymont, Delaware
Our origin story details this reasoning.
- Coinbase Ventures
- Point72 Ventures
- Microsoft for Startups and others (see more details on our backers)
Massive is named one of the Top 100 Early Stage Company To Work For in 2022.
- Jason Grad, Co-founder and CEO: Top-1% Yelp sales rep and founding member of Yelp’s national sales team; founder of 2 successfully acquired venture-backed startups, Cheerful and RCVR
- Brian Kennish, Co-founder and CTO: Pre-IPO Google engineer, on the teams that launched Google’s first 3 APIs then the Chrome browser; developer of 7 subsequent apps with 1M+ active users, including Disconnect (privacy software available on ~1B users’ computers) and Adblock Fast (an ad blocker with 10M+ users)
- Fully remote
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
- Unlimited PTO and sick days
- $50,000 Life Insurance
- $500 WFH reimbursement
- ClassPass Membership
- Opportunity to work on a variety of exciting projects